If you’re fat, it’s not really rape

by Cara on May 24, 2007

in beauty myths, bigotry, courts, Europe, fat-shaming, International, misogyny, rape and sexual assault, slut-shaming, violence against women and girls

Here’s the outrage of the week:

A lawyer in London who is defending three boys accused of gang raping two girls, said that one of the girls “may well have been glad of the attention.” Because she’s overweight.

No, I’m not making this up. I wish that I was.

So victim blaming isn’t enough, anymore. Bashing fat people isn’t enough, either. Now, overweight women who are raped not only deserve the rape, they want to be raped. Hey, you should rape fat women. They’ll really appreciate it. It will make them feel better about their hideous fat selves that some kid is “sexually attracted” to them enough to force them to perform sex against their will.

I’m going to go vomit now.

Also, the lawyer is a woman. So maybe I’ll vomit twice.

[via feministe.]

1 Anonymous May 24, 2007 at 3:53 am

Satire, so don’t be offended.

You mean all these years of chatting women up were a complete waste. Could I really have gone to the UK, and scored with any buxom chick I wanted, without having to ask for consent?

Apparently in Italy if the chick wears pants I don’t have to ask consent there either.

Are there any other places where men can score without have to obtain consent.

Maybe we should make a “sure thing” travel plan to exotic locations.

Disclaimer: Yeah I know you will hate this posting, but I am hoping that you and everyone who reads this blog will.

2 Lya Kahlo May 24, 2007 at 5:18 pm

Just when you think it can’t get worse, we get more evidence that men absolutely hate women.

Very triggering.

3 Cara May 24, 2007 at 5:54 pm

Oh my god, lya. That is atrocious.

4 The Law Fairy May 25, 2007 at 4:53 am

Interesting how it doesn’t say anything about what the guys look like… not only is consent irrelevant, but also, fat women don’t have standards.

Awesome.

5 Anonymous May 25, 2007 at 3:08 pm

Fat girls are grateful to whoever hop on the grenade. Scientific fact.

6 phonelesscord May 26, 2007 at 9:29 pm

Wow, that’s despicable on so many levels. I can’t believe that comment came from a woman – it would be very nice if at the very least female attoneys understood the basics of consent!

7 Cara May 27, 2007 at 12:40 am

It’d be nice if more of our society in general understood the nature of consent. But yes, those in the legal profession should probably be first on the list of those to educate.

8 M.A. Wood August 31, 2008 at 1:52 pm

I am a guy, though I have a kind of feminist view on several things ,seeing as I have more friends who are girls then guys, and I think this is horrific, my wife to be in “fat”, and she was raped when she was small, so that is a double-whammy to me. I think, those kids should be expelled, and some other punishment as well, I don’t know what, but somthing. That lawyer should quit, and the girls should be payed, alot, it won’t help, but it will pay for somthing that will help. Sorry, this is mostly ranting from anger, but I just had to say it.