UPDATE: The Guardian has removed O’Hara’s blog post about the Johnny Vegas incident and Vegas has filed a complaint. This does not surprise me, actually, as Britain has very strong libel laws and the post called the actions “sexual assault” in the title even though he was not charged or convicted of anything. Personally, I don’t think that this means the incident did not happen. The facts are supposed to be in dispute, but this will be the case with any crime. Again, I’ve seen no one dispute the sexual assault — I have seen disputes over whether or not penetrative rape took place. I also haven’t found a statement from Vegas about the incident, a statement from the woman who was allegedly assaulted, or a statement from O’Hara in defense or retraction of her article.

Of course, I feel that I made it clear in the blog post that he has been neither charged nor convicted of any crime. And I stand by everything I said, in the context of an opinion about what the nature of these actions would be if they occurred, and so long as its recognized that the opinion on this specific instance was based off of an eye-witness account that was corroborated and printed in a major international newspaper. I am reopening comments, but will absolutely close them again if things get out of hand like they did last time.

Warning: I personally found this to be very upsetting and triggering.

Here is a guy whose ass I would like to see in fucking jail. Pretty much forever. During a “comedy” act, Johnny Vegas sexually assaulted a woman; he threatened her, groped her breasts, put his hand up her skirt while she tried to stop him and inserted a finger into her.

Of course, not only will he not see the inside of a jail cell, he won’t even see the inside of a police station. He’ll pass it off as a “joke” numerous times. If the heat gets bad enough, he’ll maybe apologize publicly, as if that does anything for the woman that he raped on stage. Honestly, I don’t expect a single fucking consequence. He might even incorporate a joke about the instance into a later act.

I can’t recommend reading the comments on that article. At all. I scrolled through them briefly, and since I really need something to rant at, this one caught my eye:

Not totally defending him but I’m sure that the point was that pathetic individuals/society are totally enthralled with celebrity and let them get away with murder. She, and others, could have told him to get lost but didn’t probably for that reason. He obviously was taking advantage but that is the point, he can, because our society is full of Spice Girl/Big Brother/Football groupie wannabes.

I think he’s prepared to take the vitriol to make this point cos it disgusts him so much – either that or he’s an alcoholic scumbag!

Oh, I get it. Vegas raped a woman on stage because he thinks it’s disgusting that a famous person can get away with raping a woman on stage. Well that makes a ton of fucking sense, and makes me feel much better. I’m sure that the woman feels a lot better, too.

The asshat does have something of a point, though. He’s absolutely right about why Vegas got away with public sexual assault. It seems that the men on stage and a good chunk of the audience were not okay with what was happening — but the dude’s famous. They paid to see his show. Do you think this would have played out the same way if it was the goon down at the comedy club? People ignore crimes, walk away and do nothing all of the time. But usually, they do not when forced to sit or stand there and watch the violence happen. (Why didn’t the woman do anything to stop him? First of all, she was probably terrified, and secondly it doesn’t fucking matter you stupid rape apologist asshole.) Vegas knew he had the power to get away with this. He used it. And he, along with some audience members, laughed about it.

Thanks to O’Hara for bringing this to the public’s attention. But for fuck’s sake, it does not need to be “debated” there’s no “asking” whether or not Vegas “crossed a line.” If raping a woman on stage is not over the line, I don’t know what the hell could be — and we really need to redraw that line immediately. That so many in the audience disagree, that they think an assault that I’ve personally experienced is fucking funny . . .

This has upset me more than anything in a very long time.

1 Jessica May 1, 2008 at 4:28 pm

This is a textbook example of a rape culture. Not only was he able to get away with it in front of an entire audience, but there are actually people who found it funny and who are coming to his defense.

More and more I find myself wondering “what is WRONG with so many people!?” Seriously, how could this be funny?

2 Cara May 1, 2008 at 4:39 pm

Well, to a person who thinks that rape is funny, I imagine that it’s fucking hilarious.

3 mary May 1, 2008 at 4:59 pm

this is…horrifying. it makes me want to cry and it makes me want to vomit and it makes me want to SCREAM. but mostly it makes me want to rip this guy’s balls off.

4 Gemma May 1, 2008 at 5:02 pm

This week has depressed me more than I thought possible- men who keep their daughters in cellars, Joe Francis walks free. People laugh at public sexual assault.
I am so disgusted, so upset. In a world with any fucking justice the police would have marched him off before this even made the press. It should say ‘Jonny Vegas arrested for sexual assault’. Nothing else.

5 Moody May 1, 2008 at 5:15 pm

I like to think that if I was there I would have gotten up and tried to stop that shit. But usually in those situations I freeze up, and I don’t do anything. (I’m extremely shy.) Sigh…

6 Feminist Avatar May 1, 2008 at 6:19 pm

This reminds of the IRA murders of the 80s and 90s where people were murdered in front of huge crowds, but because no one reacted, they all became complicit in the crime. People in crowds are looking for a leader to set the standard for behaviour- when that leader is the one doing the abusing (as in this case), they become powerless to act. Mainly, I suspect, because they have put their trust in that person (we beleive we are watching comedy- we trust that’s what we’ll get) and are waiting for them to draw the line- not believing that something socially unnacceptable (or in this case heinous) will actually happen. The same thing probably happens for the victim- she can’t believe that someone would commit a crime in so public a forum and so waits for the joke to end- only realising it won’t stop when it is too late. This is a horrible story.

7 Reticent May 1, 2008 at 7:25 pm

My hope for Vegas is that every. single. woman. he meets for the rest of his life assertively lifts their knees into his groin. Every. Single. One. Forever.

And after that he can go to Hell and the devil can use him in an eternal comedy act.

And, frankly, so can the guy who held the coat.

And everyone who thinks and/or says that it was just a joke.

8 Renee May 1, 2008 at 10:01 pm

Had even one person in the large audience stood up and demanded an end to this “joke”, it may have not ended with a woman being raped. The fact that he continues to defend his actions proves that he feels that he possess the right to assault women. We as a society have empowered celebrities with privilege, as we actually surprised when they decide to consume women? We live in a rape culture, and to Vegas, women are just another thing to be consumed.

9 Anna May 1, 2008 at 10:20 pm

Crowd mentality. Aren’t we capable of being better than this?! Shameful. Utterly shameful. That no one had the decency or the simple kindness to stop this is absolutely appalling.

10 SunlessNick May 2, 2008 at 5:54 am

Anna: I owe you an apology, because I’ve been so used to trolls recently that I thought for a moment that your “crowd mentality” meant the commenters here. Sorry.

This “comedian” is scum. I hope something large and heavy falls on his head.

11 Finisterre May 2, 2008 at 8:19 am

To be fair, there are differing accounts of what happened and the claim that he put his finger inside her is very much in dispute.

I say this not because it wasn’t an outrageous sexual assault – I’ve said as much on the thread attached to the Guardian article – but because I know how upsetting it can be to read these stories and feel the anger and humiliation of the woman involved.

But you’re absolutely right to draw attention to the culture that allows these things to happen. I was furious when I read the story, and more so because, in all honesty, if I had been there I expect I would have been as paralysed by fear/embarassment/whatever as everyone else. The good thing about the article and related discussion is that it’s made me promise myself that if I ever find myself in a similar situation, I WILL speak up.

12 theladyrobinson May 2, 2008 at 9:14 am

You tell yourself that the audience thought they were watching comedy and maybe they were not expecting this and didn’t know how to react and then you think that’s how people have historically got away with shocking behaviour. I wish I could say I’m amazed the crowd didn’t even ‘Boo’ him off stage but given the reluctance of people to act on others behalf, I’m not.

13 Fembot May 2, 2008 at 9:19 am

Ok, this is nothing like ‘IRA murders’. People stood back and did nothing because of the very real risk that they would be seriously intimidated and possibly even ‘silenced’ themselves if they did. There was also a strong political element involved with violence and murders on the Unionist side too, of which, we are now aware since last year’s published N.I. human rights report, the British Government was complicit on more than one occasion.

In this situation, Vegas took advantage of the fact that he was a performer on stage, and as such was powerful in that situation. He took advantage of a vulnerable young woman for a few cheap laughs, and his behaviour is reprehensible.

But it is a world away from Northern Irish political violence, so Feminist Avatar should not have brought it up, especially since it is utterly irrelevant to this incident. This incident is bad enough on its own plain terms without any need to resort to unwieldy, unwise and ill-thought comparison.

14 Rev. S Campbell May 2, 2008 at 9:57 am

It really, really doesn’t help anyone to describe what happened here as “rape”. It was not rape. It was sexual assault. This young woman made a very foolish decision – to sit in the front row of a Johnny Vegas show while lacking the will to refuse to participate. (I’ve done both of those things myself.) That doesn’t for a second excuse his behaviour, which was repulsive. But stop calling it “rape”, because that’s an obscene belittling of the ordeal suffered by women who really do get raped.

15 Cara May 2, 2008 at 10:31 am

Rev. S Campbell is not going to have any more of his comments published. But I let this particular one through for a reason.

“The reverend’s” comment is one that I was waiting for. It was one that I was dreading. So here it is, give him a hand. I let it through to point out that his comment, what he said, this attitude, is precisely the reason that I never talk about my own experience with sexual violence in anything but the vaguest terms. Because I know well enough that some asshole will come along and say that no, I wasn’t raped, and my claiming that I was is “an obscene belittling of the ordeal suffered by women who really do get raped.” I shouldn’t let fuckwads like this intimidate me. But it’s some shit that I just can’t deal with. It’s the reason why I considered publishing this asshole’s comment in a separate post with these accompanying remarks, and then chickened out.

Thanks to The Guardian for putting me on their “best of the web” list, as I really am sure that it was done with nothing but the best of intentions. And I’m sure that it will make my day very interesting. To The Guardian Readers: since you’re new here, I’d like to present a brief overview of the ground rules. If you want to leave a comment that apologizes for rape, that talks about belittling “real rape,” calls rape victims liars or says that they “asked for it,” your comment will not appear on this page, and you will not be welcome back.

Carry on.

16 Rachel May 2, 2008 at 11:04 am

I was once riding the subway in New York and some magician started an act in our car. I was just innocently enjoying it with the rest of the people, smiling, and ready to give him a buck when he came around, but the finale of his trick was to find some poor sod who chose to wear a skirt that day and pull embarrassing things out from under it. I– of course– was that person. It was totally violating and humiliating and I was so caught off guard I didn’t know what to do but take it. It was my first year in NYC, and I was only 18. I’ll never forget how totally horrible it was to have been the butt of the joke to a subway car full of onlookers, just because I was wearing a skirt on a hot day. I guess as a woman is good to learn that the joke is on you early– you can prepare yourself to stay one step ahead.

17 Theloonyfromcatford May 2, 2008 at 12:37 pm

Hmmm, I condemned Vegas over on the Guardian blog.

But if this really can be classed as rape, a hell of a lot of men(+ boys) taken by surprise and touched up/fondled/groped/ by women(+girls) must now count as rape victims, surely?

Or am I missing something?

(If I am misising something, please spell it out calmly and clearly – the response to S. Campbell was hardly satisfactory).

18 cclark81 May 2, 2008 at 12:38 pm

Regarding the request to “debate” this tawdry episode. What, now we need to DEBATE this???? No debate required. It. Was. Rape.

A suggestion for Vegas’s next gig: invite a strapping young man up onstage to do to Vegas what Vegas did to that young woman.

19 Cara May 2, 2008 at 12:46 pm

Theloonyfromcatford:

Rape is forced sexual intercourse, including vaginal, anal, or oral penetration. Penetration may be by a body part or an object.

* Rape victims may be forced through threats or physical means. In about 8 out of 10 rapes, no weapon is used other than physical force. Anyone may be a victim of rape: women, men or children, straight or gay.

And for the record, this definition is by RAINN, and I find RAINN to be an organization that is too conservative in terms of its statistics and definitions of rape — several things on their website bother me. I do not find this definition of rape to be full or satisfactory, as it fails to define consent properly as a “yes” rather than “not saying no”. But even they recognize that forced sexual penetration doesn’t have to be by a penis for it to be rape. And they are to the best of my knowledge the most widely-known, trusted and highly regarded of sexual assault awareness and prevention organizations, at least in the U.S.

20 Cara May 2, 2008 at 12:49 pm

Also, I never responded to Campbell. I commented on his remarks. And a boy/man who is “surprised” by penetration by any person has indeed been raped. A boy/man who has been groped/fondled without consent has been sexually assaulted, and I don’t condone that behavior. Problem is that, unluckily for girls/women, boys/men are far, far less likely to be victims of this kind of violence.

21 Neil May 2, 2008 at 3:31 pm

You were at this gig presumably? How else could you describe the report you cite as rape?

22 juju May 2, 2008 at 3:56 pm

23 Cara May 2, 2008 at 4:15 pm

Juju, my best guess is that the woman didn’t file any charges. And I can’t blame her, what with all of the victim-blaming/it wasn’t assault bullshit going around.

Neil, do you need to personally witness every murder to decide that it took place? What about robbery? If you’re not there, it didn’t happen? I’d love to see you sit on a jury. If you think that the journalist who wrote this story is a liar, call her a liar. If you don’t believe that the journalist is just making shit up for a laugh, then you have to acknowledge that what she described is rape. The end. Thanks for playing.

24 Neil May 2, 2008 at 4:19 pm

Reading Mary O’Hara’s comment board there are several eye witnesses who question her version of events. Unless you were there, why do you choose her account over anyone elses’s?

25 Cara May 2, 2008 at 4:32 pm

Because I haven’t read ANYONE denying the sexual assault Neil. The only thing that seems to be in dispute was whether or not there was penetration, and one of the few people who was close enough to tell was the person who said there was, and he has absolutely no reason to lie. Everyone else does — no one wants to be the asshole who sat in the audience doing nothing while a woman was raped on stage. Not to mention that Mary O’Hara uses her real name and has her reputation to protect — morons on message boards do not and unlike even a blogger who uses a pseudonym (I use my real and full name), have absolutely no motivation to retain credibility. Why do YOU choose anyone else’s account over hers? Are you commenting on every other account that says it wasn’t rape, asking if they were there?

26 Neil May 2, 2008 at 4:45 pm

Let’s get this straight:-

1) Mary O’Hara went to a gig where Johnny Vegas got some girl on stage and assualted her
2) O’Hara reports that Williams saw Vegas finger the girl
3) Several other people report say this wasn’t their opinion of what happened

You choose to accept O’Hara’s version of someone else’s viewpoint. That’s hearsay. A synonym for rumour.

27 juju May 2, 2008 at 4:48 pm

Cara, thanks for your response. I guess I was just hoping that the law was written in such a way that the victim wouldn’t have to personally file charges herself. I was hoping that maybe the police and/or the English equivalent to a district attorney’s office, could bring charges on her behalf. It is just too outrageous to have a violent crime committed, by a public figure no less, and witnessed by a crowd of people, and there be no repercussions beyond a couple of critical editorials/blog postings.

28 Neil May 2, 2008 at 4:59 pm

Juju – in theory a victim doesn’t have to report a crime in the UK for the police to investigate and prosecute.

In practice, unless a victim comes forward and is prepared to testify there is no prospect of a conviction for sexual assault under English law.

29 Cara May 2, 2008 at 7:22 pm

Well that makes tons of sense, Neil. That he assaulted her is fact, the extent to which he did so is hearsay. I mean, really, it’s a “rumor” because the writer reported something that someone else said? So, a journalist writes a story about a murder. She didn’t go to the crime scene and check out the dead body herself. So she decided to interview someone who was there to learn more about the murder. Is the claim that a murder took place therefore “hearsay”? For fuck’s sake, yes they are allegations, as I mentioned in the post that he has not been charged and I don’t expect him to be, I think that was pretty clear. It is my opinion that those claiming the assault are telling the truth, as I have not seen a counter-argument that I find to be even remotely credible.

You know, I’m thrilled that you’re so concerned with the fact that a sexual assault took place and are condemning the heinous crime rather than sitting around — as a man, who does not have a one in four chance of being sexually assaulted — arguing over just how bad the assault was.

And I’m going to ask you only once to please not use language like “finger her” on my blog to describe a nonconsensual activity. As you don’t seem to be hugely educated on sexual assault, I will give you the benefit of the doubt, and explain to you that using slang terms generally used to describe consensual sexual acts is hugely offensive when talking about sexual violence, and can be very upsetting to those who have personally experienced that kind of assault. I hope that you will at least agree that if Vegas did penetrate her with any body part, it would be sexual assault. You can use rape or inserted/penetrated with a finger, to give a couple of examples. Similarly, it would be offensive to say “she gave him a blowjob” to refer to an oral rape. Now that you know, I do insist on respectfulness.

30 Neil May 2, 2008 at 7:37 pm

There is absolutely no mention in your blog entry that this is an allegation – it is stated as absolute fact. This is just wrong, and if you were posting in this country (UK) you could be in very serious risk of a libel case being brought against you.

If you are reporting an allegation of a rape you should make it plain that it is an allegation -precisely because rape is such a serious offence.

31 Cara May 2, 2008 at 7:46 pm

I guess that it’s a good thing I don’t live in England then, huh? We’re done.

32 Neil May 2, 2008 at 7:47 pm

“We’re done” = “I’ve lost the argument” I presume?

33 Cara May 2, 2008 at 7:57 pm

You didn’t “win” any argument because I never said Vegas was a convicted rapist and cited an article which people are expected to read to find out the full story. “We’re done” means that you’re a fucking asshole who couldn’t give a shit less about whether or not a woman was raped, and instead want to argue about which particular sexual acts Vegas forced upon this woman. “We’re done” means I get the impression you think that no man should ever be convicted of rape, because not only are rape victims liars, the impartial witnesses to rape are liars too, and if some people didn’t see it happened, it didn’t. “We’re done” = “you’re not engaging in discussion or responding to a single point I’ve made, so I’m done wasting my time on a rape apologist troll.” We’re done means that I’ve given you more than one chance to go away quietly and to apologize for acting like a shithead, and now you’re banned.

34 SunlessNick May 2, 2008 at 9:01 pm

In any case, debate about whether this is really a rape, or really an assault, or even if the woman was a plant (hypothesised on the Guardian thread) is completely meaningless.

The way Vegas play-acted it was clearly meant to EVOKE a sexual assault – that is what it was meant to resemble – that was what it was drawing on for its laughs. And that is inherenly sick, whatever reality lies behind it.

35 Cara May 2, 2008 at 10:04 pm

Absolutely, Nick. I haven’t seen any evidence at all that she was a plant and don’t think that’s what happened — but you know what, I wish that she was. It would mean that a woman wasn’t actually sexually assaulted. But even if it were true, that Vegas staged the whole thing, it is supremely fucked up on every level.

36 Holly May 2, 2008 at 10:23 pm

I can’t believe there’s even debate about whether or not he crossed a line. Of fucking course he crossed a line! I would also love to see this ass put in jail–But of course, like you said, it won’t happen because it was a “joke.”

37 Jennifer May 2, 2008 at 10:51 pm

This makes me ill. It was obviously a glamorization of assault. Plant or not, it was wrong. there is no gray area here.

38 Paul May 3, 2008 at 4:38 am

While libel laws do apply to a blog, Neil is a rape apologist arse

Here’s an ITV1 news bulletin for you Neil – Cara does not live in the English Midlands, she lives in the United States, which has both a first amendment and a defence of “truth”.

Keep up the good word Cara

39 debby May 3, 2008 at 7:36 am

I cannot believe that ANYONE would buy a ticket for his show after this.

What a horrible person. I don’t understand how this could be funny on ANY level.

40 Cara May 3, 2008 at 11:35 am

COMMENTS ARE CLOSED

41 Cara May 9, 2008 at 11:53 am

Comments have been reopened. See update.

42 Mick Hannigan May 9, 2008 at 2:27 pm

Cara, no rape took place, no assault took place. Mary O’Hara’s Guardian article has been comprehensively discredited by numerous eyewitnesses.

You take O’Hara’s account as the unvarnished truth, yet it has been flatly contradicted by over a dozen others who bothered to post on the Guardian’s website. There are other reviews on the net, which do not tally with O’Hara’s account.

It is a lie to say that O’Hara’s account was corroborated. The truth of the matter is that it has been repeatedly contradicted.

The victim here is Vegas who’s reputation has been shredded by the offending article and the chinese whispers of the very many blogs, including yours, which quoted it. It was disgraceful journalism.

But your blog is the greater disgrace. You say that Vegas “put his hand up her skirt while she tried to stop him and inserted a finger into her”. This is a product of your own fevered fantasising. Not even O’Hara claims that. You do rape victims no favours by such crassness.

43 Cara May 9, 2008 at 2:45 pm

Yes Mick, she did. Oh look, here’s a cached version of the article! Which I can quote! (Trigger Warning)

Eventually Vegas crouched down beside the nervous girl and started stroking her breasts while repeatedly saying, “don’t fucking move”. Then he ran his hand up her leg and began pulling her skirt up. Every time he looked up to address the audience, she would reach down and pull her skirt back down, but he kept pulling it back up. According to Williams, who had a different view of the stage from me, Vegas ended up “fingering her through her clothes for a second or two”. What I heard was an audible sharp intake of breath from the audience as they realised that the woman was getting much more than the kiss Vegas had told her to expect.

Oh noes, repeating what a news article says sure is disgraceful. Certainly more so than claiming that something that was in the article was not. I know that you’re running around on each and every blog you can find to defend Vegas (and wouldn’t be surprised if you are him yourself), but there will be no humping of his leg here. Fuck off.

44 Cara May 9, 2008 at 2:50 pm

Oh, and for Christ’s sake, something can be both corroborated and disputed by different people. Some have disputed it. O’Hara says that she spoke to people who corroborated it.

And Chinese whispers? Seriously?

45 Moody May 9, 2008 at 5:33 pm

Very strong libel laws indeed if The Guardian had to remove the article. I wish that one of the audience members would have filed some type of charges against him(eg public indecency).

46 Nick May 9, 2008 at 6:15 pm

“aul on May 3, 2008 4:38 am

While libel laws do apply to a blog, Neil is a rape apologist arse

Keep up the good word Cara”

The US law is based on the English law, which makes it a complete defence to an allegation of defamation to show that a statement is the truth! It is also a defence to show that a statement is reasonable. Finally, the law protects a person who is giving their opinion!

The law in England is not especially restrictive and in fact is far less so that in the US!

There is an saying amoung lawyers that only a fool sues in defamation!

47 Nick May 9, 2008 at 7:25 pm

“juju on May 2, 2008 3:56 pm

Would someone who lives in the UK, and/or has been following this story closely, kindly explain to me why charges have not yet been filed against this man.”

Because no complaint has been made to the police.

Anybody can formally report the allegation; however, nobody has! There was a single report in a newspaper that has now been retracted! The alleged victim has not come forward to complain and all members of the audience who have come forward have denied that any such assault took place!

48 Cara May 9, 2008 at 7:38 pm

Nick, would you like to point me to the big mountain of statements where people who were at the show claimed that Vegas did not grope and lay/sit on top of the woman he brought on stage? Because I sure as hell haven’t seen it. Anywhere. And I spent a decent amount of time googling the issue today. Nothing, except for disputes over whether or not he penetrated the woman. Great. Where are those disputing that he sexually assaulted her?

I’ll be waiting.

49 Nick May 9, 2008 at 7:39 pm

I guess Vegas is denying the allegations after all!! If the newspaper is so sure that what they said is right then we’ll be seeing all the evidence heard in Court, otherwise…

50 Nick May 9, 2008 at 7:42 pm

Cara, maybe you’ve misunderstood the way these things work. If somebody wants to make an allegation then it is for them to prove (either beyond reasonable doubt in the criminal courts or on the balance of probabilities in the civil courts) that the allegation is true. It is not for the defendant to prove that they are innocent!

Maybe you would like to point me to the audience members who corroborate the allegation?

51 Cara May 9, 2008 at 7:44 pm

Yeah Nick, I’m well aware of how the legal system works. You’re the one running around saying that you have evidence that I am wrong. I’ve produced numerous links — including the one that you yourself just put up for absolutely no apparent reason. If you’re not going to bother to back up your stance, I’m not going to let any more of your comments through. The end.

52 Nick May 9, 2008 at 8:04 pm

Just had a quick goolge of my own. The reviewer from the Evening Standard mentions the incident and the report that appeared in the Guardian; however, states that the main concern was for the fact that Vegas is so fat. Other reviews written by those present, such as the Chortle review, fail to have even noticed anything untoward! Chortle describes the comedy as uncomfortable, which Vegas often is. The reviewer describes the incident as a depraved disney fantasy but makes no mention of anything happening that overstepped the mark – it’s not clear whether this review was published before or after the report in the Guardian appeared, but there is no mention of that report in the Chortle review.

53 Cara May 9, 2008 at 8:13 pm

Are you referring to this? Because if so, he also says that Vegas climbed on top of her and groped her, giving no indication that he asked the woman whether or not she was okay with this.

Which is precisely what I asked you to refute, since you’re insisting that no sexual assault took place. So try again. Of course, if you want to argue that climbing on top of a woman and groping her without consent is not sexual assault, we’re done here.

54 Cara May 9, 2008 at 8:16 pm
55 Jen May 12, 2008 at 1:28 am

I’m not surprised in the slightest that Vegas is suing. I think he’s probably shocked that anyone would dare regard him as ‘not a nice guy’. I’m interested to see what his comments are, though: if he uses the phrase ‘it was a joke’ at any point, I intend to start a letter-writing campaign. I don’t want to have to see that man ever again.

As an English woman who attends numerous stand-up gigs, I can tell you that had she refused at any point, both Vegas and the whole audience would have turned on her. Any stand-up will turn on someone who is disrupting their routine, and generally speaking, stand-up audiences like cruelty. Horrible but true. Also, it drives me insane when people say “She knew what she was in for, sitting in the front row of one of his gigs.” Even if they’re idiots who think British law doesn’t apply on a stage (which some people do seem to be arguing…), everyone who attended the gig has said that Vegas was not listed as a performer and was brought out as a ‘surprise’.

I don’t think anything will happen. Whether or not the rape allegation is disputed, the girl won’t testify because she knows damn well she’ll be ripped to shreds in the courtroom and in the media, and Vegas won’t want to pursue it because, sadly, this whole thing will be forgotten shortly.

(Sorry about the length – this story has made me so damn mad.)

56 Hello May 12, 2008 at 8:50 am

Has the woman on stage made any comment till now?

57 Cara May 12, 2008 at 9:33 am

Not that I’ve seen, Hello. And I can’t say that I’m surprised about her not coming forward. I think that few would.