Target Women: Wedding Shows

by Cara on June 2, 2008

in beauty myths, fat-shaming, feminism, fun, marketing, media, pop culture

A few weeks ago, I posted this Target Women video, a spoof news show segment about the way that yogurt is marketed. I was hoping that they’d do more, particularly because I thought the woman doing the segment, Sarah Haskins, was really funny.

The folks at Current TV noticed and sent me the latest clip (a good thing, because I can never remember to check these things on my own). This week, Sarah takes on television shows about weddings. Enjoy.

The second half about Bulging Brides is the best part. I think that a lot of us know what Sarah’s talking about when she points out that the purpose of this kind of programming seems to be all about convincing women who feel fine about their bodies to freak out about how fat (and therefore, of course, disgusting) they are. And then to buy the diet products that are undoubtedly marketed during the commercial breaks. Good for Sarah on calling this shit out and being rightfully unashamed to show her own body (which, other than bust-size, resembles mine quite closely in terms of size and shape).

Seriously, that show looks atrocious — I don’t know about you, but I had a strong urge to punch both of those trainers in the face. How sad is our society when people to actually sign up for this?

1 Kristen June 2, 2008 at 12:24 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA…..

I laughed so hard, the secretary whose cube is across from my office just knocked to find out if I was okay. (She thought it was funny too.)

I eloped. My husband has 400 family members. FOUR HUNDRED. No thank you. I get nauseous speaking in front of 50 people…400 would probably make me barf.

2 Judith June 2, 2008 at 1:06 pm

Oh, that was even better! Is there really an ENTIRE channel devoted to weddings? Not having a television just got a whole lot better as well.

3 Cara June 2, 2008 at 1:09 pm

I’m relatively certain that WE stands for “Women’s Entertainment,” and that it’s not actually an entire network about weddings, but an entire network about things that “women like” . . . and that therefore makes it an entire network mostly about weddings.

I have a TV, but I’m increasingly glad that I generally only use it to watch DVDs and Lost.

4 lizriz June 2, 2008 at 3:24 pm

OMG, I LOVE SARAH HASKINS!!!

Seriously, these videos are totally awesome.

5 amandaw June 2, 2008 at 4:13 pm

Is there a link? I loved the last one but I can’t get this one to show up at all. :(

6 Cara June 2, 2008 at 5:01 pm

Here’s the URL to the video on the site. Hopefully that will work for you.

7 kelly g. June 2, 2008 at 5:42 pm

“Back cleavage”…jeez, thanks for giving me yet another body image issue to obsess about, Bulging Brides trainers!

8 Cara June 2, 2008 at 5:45 pm

Oh, I got the back cleavage pointed out to me when I was trying on my own wedding dress, and again when I had to wear a bridesmaid’s dress last year. Thanks alterations lady!

9 Kacie June 2, 2008 at 5:55 pm

I am a little confused. Do they sign up for Bulging Brides on their own, or is it like “What Not to Wear” were you are nominated? At least on What Not To Wear, with the shaming (of your wardrobe, not your body) comes with a new wardrobe. This is just disgusting!

10 ouyangdan June 2, 2008 at 6:02 pm

holy pig that cracked me up.

sort of OT, ever since i changed my status on my peer to peer sites to “engaged” the advertisement banners all of a sudden are all about “be a skinny bride”, or “have the shoes you always dreamed of”. what a joke.

this is why we didn’t tell a lot of people where/when. if i had to really deal w/ all of this bridal nonsense i would go crazy.

barefoot, on the beach, sundress/aloha shirt.

i really don’t have the intestinal tract to put up w/ all of the crap you see in that video.

that is a great segment, i will have to keep checking back on it to see if they do more.

11 Moody June 2, 2008 at 10:46 pm

<3 Sarah.

12 lepidopteryx June 3, 2008 at 12:35 pm

I’ve never understood the wedding madness either. It seems like everyone, including the bride and groom, are more focused on the decorations and clothes than on what the event is supposed to stand for.
When my husband and I got married, we didn’t want a three-ring circus – we wanted the people closest to us to witness our pledge to each other before our gods.
The first thing we did was write our vows and compose the ritual. Since he and I follow different spiritual paths, we carefully chose elements of each for the ritual that harmonized with each other. Getting the ritual right took several months of writing, reading, editing, etc. The clothes, food, etc. took less than 24 hours.
My daughter asked me to wear a dress of hers that she had bought several years before for a friend’s handfasting. I was honored that she wanted to make this contribution. My husband wore a poet shirt that he had from when he was part of a touring theater company. Since we met at an audition, we thought that having him wear something with attached theater memories was a nice way to commemorate the circumstances of our meeting. We trimmed his shirt and my dress with matching ribbon from the craft store.
We held the ritual in our living room, and afterward served food that had come either from our backyard garden or our local Farmer’s Market. We prepared the food ourselves the night before. We actually cook well together, and we often have people over for meals, so we thought that preparing the food ourselves was a fitting way to share this new phase of our lives with friends and family. Neither of us care much for sweets, so there was no skyscraper cake and no goofy “groom’s cake”; in fact, there was no cake at all.
We used the table linens, china, crystal, and silver that he inherited from his grandmother.
We composted the leftovers and recycled the empty wine bottles.
In other words, we had a wedding that was spiritually meaningful to both of us, rather than a ceremony that came out of a book, and a celebration afterward that left all our guests with bellies full of good food and hearts full of a sense of fellowship, and we did so without spending a ton of money or creating a mountain of garbage.

13 Average Jane June 3, 2008 at 10:03 pm

I love these Target Women clips! I hope they keep making them often.