Target Women: Barbie

by Cara on March 13, 2009

in feminism, fun, media, objectification, pop culture, sexism

The latest from Sarah Haskins:

(If you can’t view the embedded video, click here.)

And for those of you who missed it, she also had a pretty awesome Op-Ed in the Washington Post on Barbie’s 50th birthday. (Yeah, I’ll admit it; that’s how I played with my Barbie, too.)

I so cannot wait to see Sarah at WAM!

1 Sophie Lagacé March 13, 2009 at 3:48 pm

Hee. My grandma gave me a (brunette, curly-haired) Barbie against my parents’ objections. I ended up building Barbie wood furniture in dad’s workshop, and sending Barbie to explore the Galaxy in spaceships made out of pizza plates. :-)

2 SunlessNick March 13, 2009 at 6:09 pm

When I was a spawn, I considered getting (not a Barbie specifically, but) a female doll, though I planned to dress it in my Action Man’s* SAS gear. Unfortunately, I never found any with decent production values.

* I don’t know if you get Action Man in America, but it’s posable figure with differing costumes and accessories – soldiers, rescue workers, climbers, and so on. Naturally, it is of course completely different from a doll, oh yes indeed, no similarity at all, nothing so see here, move on, SHUT UP!

But one way they did differ from dolls is that they were made much more robustly. Which I’m sure is a big surprise.

3 Therese March 13, 2009 at 6:29 pm

I’m biased… I collect Barbie dolls XD

4 meerkat March 14, 2009 at 6:48 am

From the Washington Post article: Parents who think that the NewsHour with Jim Lehrer is a “fun” show.

When I was a kid, it was called the MacNeil-Lehrer News Hour! Does that make me old? (I thought it was the most boring thing in the world, except maybe the Pride & Prejudice miniseries.)

I had a few Barbies but I was bored by all the clothes-changing. I have always hated clothes. Not in the sense of wanting to become a nudist, but in the sense of being very annoyed when I have to actually think about what I’m wearing. Maybe it’s Barbie’s fault for being so inflexible when I was trying to get her limbs into her sleeves.

5 Anna March 14, 2009 at 7:26 am

I had one barbie – gymnast barbie or something. all I remember is that she was black, and not very barbie-like as I chewed her feet off.. didn’t stop me getting her to make out with rock-climbing sindy though.

I always thought the ‘making barbies make out’ thing was a bit abnormal – when I mentioned it to my friends the consensus was definitely on ‘road accident barbie’ – lots of red nail varnish for blood and severed limbs..

6 Bernie Misiura March 15, 2009 at 5:55 pm

West Virginia to Ban Barbie?!

WOW,

Speak of a knee jerk reaction see here.

b